- 1 med-large head bok choy
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp MSG - optional
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sugar - to counteract bitterness
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-3 tbsp oil or fat - beef tallow or pork fat
- In a small container mix: salt, MSG, turmeric, paprika, and sugar.
- Heat a heavy pot with oil/fat over med-high heat.
- Chop bok choy, leaves and stalks (½ to 1 inch strips).
- When oil/fat is hot and shimmery, add bok choy
- Add spice mix and garlic
- Stir to coat with oil/fat and spices
- Let it cook down a bit, you should get a boiling liquid
- Cover with lid and reduce heat to low/simmer
- Simmer from 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally