July was tough this year. Pop’s birthday was the 31st. The playlist sort of demonstrates the emotional chaos that brought.
Start with “Reagan” by Killer Mike. He brought absolute fire with this, but it’s sort of depressing as hell now. Sometimes we would start the playlist here, other days we had to skip it. Because it is so perfectly spot-on and infuriating and exhausting.
A few other highlights:
- THAT BITCH by Bea Miller. Great lyrics here, it speaks for itself.
- Lost The Game by TwoFeet (which you just did, if you play The Game).
- Angry Too by Lola Blanc. Ohh, these lyrics are just amazing. I’m learning to play this one. If you knew what I knew, you would be angry too.
- Bleach by Call Me Karizma. So, I’m torn over this. I don’t really know this musical artist and the more I see from them, the more they appear to be some sort of sexual predator. But this song is fire. Just take it with a grain of salt. EDIT: i just checked, and yes my vibe of “sexual predator” was correct: https://www.musicinminnesota.com/minneapolis-artist-call-me-karizma-issues-cease-desist-letters-stemming-from-sexual-assault-allegations/ So after finding this, I’m leaving this as a warning, not an endorsement.
- Unperson by Nothing But Thieves - this one may be as important as “Reagan” as far as political alignment. “This is not what you think it is… it’s worse”. To me, this is clearly a song about fascists dehumanizing other groups so they can further their fascist agenda. An “unperson” is easier to demonize, attack, incarcerate, and eventually kill, but with the approval of the (fascist) people.
THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS… IT’S WORSE.